Janet Levatin, MD, HMC, holistic pediatrician, homeopathic physician for children and adults
Now more than ever, we need safe, cost-effective, easy-to-use holistic tools to help us stay healthy. Homeopathy and homeoprophylaxis are just such tools.
Homeopathy is a wonderful system of healing that has been used since the late 1700s for treating numerous types of acute and chronic illnesses and health disturbances. I have been using it with great success in my medical practice and with my family for over 30 years. It has multiple benefits and often has advantages over conventional medicine.
In addition to treating illnesses, infections, and health imbalances, homeopathy has another important use: homeoprophylaxis, or homeopathic prevention. This means using homeopathically prepared substances to help prevent people (and animals) from developing the symptoms of infections they are exposed to.
Vaccination is promoted as a way to help us avoid contracting specific infections, but many people are turning away from vaccine programs for a variety of reasons. Vaccines contain known toxins, and they can cause serious side effects and even death. Additionally, they do not work very well. It is well documented that many vaccine programs are failing to perform as intended, including influenza, pertussis, measles, mumps, pneumococcus, Hemophilus influenza B, and chickenpox/shingles. More and more doses of these failing products are recommended or “required” for us and our children. Many people are starting to say no, however, and rightfully so.
Thankfully there are other ways to stay healthy. There are both infection-specific and nonspecific ways to develop and maintain a healthy immune system. Nonspecific measures are those habits and practices that promote health and wellbeing in general ways for everyone.
Here are some of the lifestyle measures I recommend for promoting robust immunity in a general way:
- Eat healthfully. Avoid sugars, preservatives, artificial colors, and the packaged, processed foods that are all too common these days. Instead focus on single-ingredient foods such as seeds, nuts, and fresh vegetables and fruits that are grown in nutrient-rich soil without toxic pesticides. If you use animal products, be sure they hormone and antibiotic-free. Ideally, they should be from pasture-raised, grass-fed animals.
- Avoid chemicals. Obviously, we cannot avoid chemicals completely, but we should do our best to avoid synthetic, fragranced cleaning and laundry products. For personal care products, we should choose natural options that are free of dyes, fragrances, petrolatum, propylene glycol, polysorbate 80, and other industrial chemicals.
- Use simple supplements. Vitamin D and vitamin C should be taking regularly, as well as minerals, including zinc, and immune-supporting herbs like elderberry and Echinacea when we are exposed to or experiencing minor infections.
- Other measures: To maintain a robust immune system use these commonsense ideas: avoiding unnecessary stress, learning to manage the stress you do have, getting enough sleep, exercising, and having regular exposure to fresh air and appropriate amounts of sunlight.
- Breastfeeding infants: This cannot be overemphasized. Human breastmilk is the biologically appropriate food for human infants and there is no adequate substitute for it. Breastmilk contains innumerable factors that promote healthy immunity…. both in general ways and in ways that help us combat specific infections.
- Avoid pharmaceuticals. Avoid drugs such as steroids, antibiotics, and vaccines whenever possible because they alter and suppress the immune system, which can have devastating short-and long-term consequences.
Homeoprophylaxis (HP) is a method that was developed over 200 years ago for protecting ourselves from experiencing the symptoms of specific infections. It has been successfully used for the prevention of high-incidence, life-threatening epidemic infections such as scarlet fever, smallpox, leptospirosis, meningococcal disease, and Japanese encephalitis. It can also be used as a “substitute” for infant/childhood vaccination programs for more serious infections, including pertussis, pneumococcus, tetanus, and Hemophilus influenza B; as well as less serious infections like measles, mumps, influenza, and chickenpox. Programs can also be developed for adolescents and young adults that cover such infections as strep throat, mononucleosis, and more.
Travel programs can also be put together to help travelers avoid succumbing to waterborne infections like cholera, polio, typhoid fever, and hepatitis A; and mosquito-borne infections such as chikungunya, malaria, and yellow fever.
In modern times, HP has been used extensively in infants and school-aged children in Australia, by Dr. Isaac Golden. He has analyzed data collected over a substantial period of time and estimates that HP is about 90% effective, while at the same time being extremely safe.
How Homeoprophylaxis Remedies are Manufactured
Homeopathic remedies can be made from any substance, including plants, minerals, animal substances, such as venoms and different kinds of milk, and even bacteria and viruses. When products of disease such as bacteria and viruses are used, the remedies are called nosodes. Most of the remedies used for HP are nosodes, although occasionally other types of remedies are used, such as Belladonna, a plant, for scarlet fever, and Lathyrus, another plant, for polio.
During the manufacturing process, the material being made into a remedy is put through a series of dilutions, and with each dilution, the solution is vigorously agitated, a process called succussion. After a substance is put through a series of 12 or more 1-part-per-100 dilutions, it no longer contains the original substance and thus is non-toxic and, in the case of a nosode, is not capable of transmitting an infection. Homeoprophylaxis remedies are diluted this way 200 or more times. The succussion procedure imparts an energetic frequency to the remedy, which allows it to work in a subtle but profound way on the energy body (also known as the vital force, chi, innate intelligence, and other terms).
Some of the benefits of HP include the following:
- No injections/tissue damage. HP remedies are administered orally. This is much safer than injecting vaccines (in addition to being pain-free) and allows the remedies to be taken at home, when it is convenient for people.
- No fear of doctors instilled in children. When children are repeatedly restrained (with no option for “fight or flight”) and injected with toxin-containing vaccines, it can be a very frightening and potentially psychologically damaging set of experiences. We may tell a child it is for his own good but is this meaningful to him? If you look at it from the point of view of a pre-verbal child, for all he knows the vaccine administrator could be trying to kill him. To add insult to injury, the person he is supposed to trust most in life, his parent, may be helping to restrain him. This is not the way to nurture feelings of trust in a child. In fact, vaccine injections are terrifying experiences for children. I call this syndrome PVSD (post-vaccine stress disorder). Mass vaccination campaigns might even be a factor contributing to why there is much violence and so many psychological problems in contemporary society. In contrast, HP does not harm or frighten a child in any way.
- Cost-effective and easy to manufacture. HP remedies are very inexpensive to produce when compared to the cost of conventional vaccines. Also, preventative remedies for new infections can be produced relatively quickly. For example, HP to prevent COVID infections exists as of this writing, early in the “pandemic.”
- No Side effects. While minor reactions may occur as the body’s defense mechanisms interact with HP remedies (this occurs in less than 2% of doses administered), there are no side effects associated with the HP method.
- 90 % effective. As mentioned above, Dr. Isaac Golden’s research has shown that HP is approximately 90% effective at preventing the targeted infections.
- Promotes general health. In addition to assisting with the prevention of specific infections, HP has been shown through research to also promote the health of children in more general ways. Health outcomes of children using a long-term HP program were compared to the health outcomes of children using conventional vaccines and those using no specific prevention method. The children using HP were found to have a lower incidence of allergies, asthma, eczema, and behavior problems.
HP is a fantastic alternative for parents who know they don’t want to vaccinate but want to do something to help their children develop resistance to unwanted infections. It is also a wonderful option for travelers who wish to avoid the toxins that are inevitable ingredients in conventional vaccines.
For more information on the HP programs offered and the Tenpenny Integrative Medical Center please contact our front desk staff about a consultation with Dr. Levatin. We are always happy to share information about this great technique with interested people.
Share this article with your friends. Help us grow.
Join our list here or text DRT to 28228
Dr. Janet Levatin graduated from George Washington University in 1982, and completed a pediatric residency at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of NJ. From 1986 to 2011 she had a private practice in Boston, MA, where she offered various holistic options for children and adults. In 2011 she moved to northeast Ohio and joined Tenpenny Integrative Medical Center, where she offers a variety of programs for children and adults including homeopathy, nutritional detox, cardiovascular wellness, breast health and herbs. Dr. Janet is passionate about prevention and using natural solutions for health problems whenever possible. She has spoken out about the toxicity of pharmaceuticals, including vaccines, for many years and is a strong supporter of freedom of choice in medical decision making.